The Secrets to Cleaning Up Your Credit Score and Keeping it Strong

Posted in: Money

(11 comments)  with licensed FICO professional and credit restoration expert Joe McGlynn

To listen to this show: Click Here

What three little numbers can cost you thousands of dollars? Answer: your FICO credit score—and it’s easier to change than you might believe. An article in MSN Money calculated that the difference between a 750 and a 650 credit score is a startling $201,712 in extra interest paid over a lifetime. Home and car insurance premiums are even higher when your score is lower, and just one little oops—one late credit card payment, for example—can lower your score by as much as 100 points.

Today’s guest, Joe McGlynn, is a licensed FICO professional and credit restoration expert who can give us single moms the knowledge to strengthen our credit and fatten our purses by improving our credit score. You’ll discover that everything on your credit report has the potential to be removed—whether it happened or not! “U.S. federal law requires credit bureaus to verify items on your report if they’re requested to do so by you,” says McGlynn. “If the credit bureaus can’t verify a specific item within 30 days, it goes off your record permanently!”

Think how busy credit card companies and mortgage banks are! Do you think these companies keep perfect long-term records, and answer every request for verification that comes in? No! Today’s show will give an open door to improving your score with the insider knowledge that only the best credit restoration companies know, but that every individual can use! You’ll learn the things most people do wrong in trying to fix their credit (hint: don’t ever submit disputes online—it’s a waste of time). As a bonus, you’ll also learn how to help our children establish and keep good credit as they become young adults.

Special offer: United Credit Consultations (UCC) has offered Single Mom Talk Radio a promotional discount not found on their website. To get UCC to pull your actual FICO credit bureau scores, and give you a free consultation, put the promotional code SingleMomUCC123 in the comment box when contacting them for a free consult. If you decide to use UCC, you’ll get a $25 discount with this promo code too. Contact: http://www.unitedcreditconsultants.com/contact.php

Feel free to pass this promotional offer on to your friends and family—whether they’re single moms or not.

11 Responses to The Secrets to Cleaning Up Your Credit Score and Keeping it Strong

• Ms. Humbled

Replied on: September 21, 2011, 6:32 pm

First I want to say Thank you for your wonderful radio show Julia! I’m wondering if your guest Joe McGlynn can help me with a question.

Some background information:

One day I am hoping to be a single mom. The only credit cards I’ve ever owned and currently own are joint credit cards with my future x-husband. For the most part, I’ve been a stay at home mom raising twins for 12 years. During these twelve years I’ve tried to keep a business career going by being self-employed at home in the graphic business. The money I make from this business is used for keeping software and equipment updated, expenses for kid’s clothes, help with food budget, animals, and any other extra things our family might need. In other words, tax returns do NOT show I make lots of money (embarrassing little if truth be told).

I currently have a credit rating of 750 (Thank you for the link to http://www.myfreecreditreport.com ). My concern is, I’m pretty sure at this moment, I don’t independently make enough money to qualify for a credit card on my own.

Finally … My Question:
    Besides finding a dream six figure job that allows time to be there for kids, animals, and upkeep a house and farm … are there things I can do to enable myself to better qualify for a credit card on my own … for when that glorious day does come that I am a single mom?
    Ms. Humbled

Replied on: September 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

This is Joe McGlynn with United Credit Consultants, thank you for listening and that is a great question to ask. The first major item that I want to address is the my free credit report.com… I want to start by saying doing be fooled by those scores, they can be very misleading. The scores that you see are what is called your Vantage scores. Those scores are different then the scores that banks and credit card lenders use. Those scores are your FICO scores and the FICO and Vantage system are totally different in the way they both weigh your accts that you have in your file. When it comes to the joint accts that you have with your husband, know that even though he may use them and may have them it will hurt your credit if he stops paying them for what ever reason. The best thing to do there is to keep an eye on your report and make sure there are not lates starting and if there are ask him right away about it so the issue can be fixed before its too late.

With the credit card issue, know that when you apply for credti cards they ask you how much you make and its is a very basic drop down screeen. Credit card companies do not use W-2’s like a car dealership would, so much of your approval is based on current credit score and even more how are the balances on any current and opened credit cards. Your best bet is to get a handle of the cards you have joint and get the balances down to a 30% of the credit card limit. One note as well is if there are any cards that currently have a zero balance, use them…. By using them it activates that cards and improves your scores! I hope all of this helps. Let me know if you need any help with anything else.

• Web Hosting Reviews

Replied on: September 28, 2011, 8:40 pm

Nice post. I went through the post I found it very informative and useful. Thanks for sharing.
    My blog is about Bluehost Reviews.

• Make up tips

Replied on: September 29, 2011, 6:59 pm

Thanks for sharing, it truly is a really informative publish and very helpful for some kind of businesses like mine. I like when I’m looking the world wide web and i come across a site with valuable points like this. Thanks lots for the research, We’ve noted a number of them here so I can use them in a future. Kudos for you and keep up the good blogging perform.

Replied on: October 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for the Kudos. Glad it provided some good information for you.

• Sallie

Replied on: October 7, 2011, 8:37 am

Thanks for sharing, it truly is a really informative publish and very helpful for the business I’m in. I like when I’m looking the world wide web and I come across a site with valuable points like this. Thanks lots for the research, I’ve noted a number of them here so I can use them in a future. Kudos for you and keep up the good blogging perform.

• Emily

Replied on: October 29, 2011, 12:13 am

Thanks for the show and blog post. I got in a world of hurt after my divorce. Now I feel more empowered that once I climb out only I am going to be captain of my ship. This was great help. I love you blog and show. I”ve gone back and listened to most of them. I especially like the “How to Keep Drug Dementors Away From Your Children”

Replied on: October 31, 2011, 9:13 am

Isn’t it fantastic that no matter where we are now, we’re in the drivers seat now. So the view is so much better.

• Olivia

Replied on: October 31, 2011, 5:29 pm

This is excellent. My credit scores sucks! Good to know what I CAN do about it afterall– it’s hard to trust all the stuff on the internet. But since I’ve grown to trust your blogs and radio shows, I feel comfortable calling Credit Consultants and seeing if they can help me after a MISERABLE divorce!

• Zane Zullig

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 1:01 am

I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 9:48 am

My information came from Joseph McGlynn, United Credit Consultants– After I went to him to clean up my own act I said “OMG: how many other people could this help too!” I had one filthy little $150 delinquency years ago with a credit card company because I moved and my bill never came to me… and it’s still on my record. It probably made my mortgage rate go up; it probably cost me a bundle. No more… so I interviewed Joe on the radio show. Click on the link if you haven’t already done so. Glad this is helpful to you.