Finding the Right Person to Leave Your Child With

Posted in: Parenting

(43 comments)  Click to “Listen to this Radio Show”

For a single mom, finding loving, responsible child care isn’t just a wish—it’s a necessity. When you have to be away, how do you trust the person you’re leaving your children with? What questions must you ask a potential nanny? Should you spy on her with a nanny cam? How can you turn good sitters into excellent ones?

These are some of the questions we’ll answer on this show as we talk with Candi Wingate, award-winning and nationally recognized child care expert and founder of three of the world’s largest online nanny databases. You’ll hear the story of Emily, a mom who thought she was hiring good caregivers but found that she wasn’t at all! Candi will tell us what Emily could have done differently. You’ll learn things to do to keep from hiring the wrong person, including when and why you should run background checks. Candi will also discuss other ways to head off problems with your sitters in advance. “Every mom,” says Candi, “should have a contract with her nanny so that communication and expectations are clear.” She will recommend “nanny cams” (video recorders) and “nanny bugs” (audio recorders)—but not in the secretive sense people often talk about. Candi’s advice will take the “Ick!” out these products, so that you can use them as not as spying devices but as powerful tools. When you can’t be home, using a sitter or a nanny may be a second-best option—but it can be a really good one! The ideas in this program will show you how!

Was this show helpful? Can you share baby-sitting horror stories, or things that worked out? Talk to Julia and other single moms by leaving a comment on this show blog post.  Let’s Chat!

43 Responses to Finding the Right Person to Leave Your Child With

Replied on: September 26, 2011, 4:30 pm

Hey There, Julia Here… An experience I didn’t share on the radio show was when I came home early from school and DISCOVERED that my nanny (a 26 year old, super sweet and caring, but naive!, art student guy) went for a jog after he put my son to sleep in his crib.

It took me a bit to get over the UNBELIEF that anyone could be that stupid! I kept opening closets thinking: he must be here somewhere– no one would leave a baby alone in an house!!

What did I do? I could have easily fired him on the spot, but he had so many good qualities–and my son really needed a positive male influence– so I told him that if he wanted to keep this job he had to call home and tell HIS mom and dad what he did. (I knew he came from a good family.) He did it, and it was painful to him– “his mom said, “what if there had been a fire” his dad said “what if the baby had woken up sick,scared, wet, etc… and no one came …” They hammered home the possible consequences of his stupid actions.

I let HIS PARENTS emphasize the dangers, as third party validation that it just wasn’t me being over-reactive. Though I watched this sitter like a hawk for months later, I kept him and in the end he became one of the best nanny’s ever… and he and my son truly love each other now. He became a surrogate dad, even, and will always be in our lives.

• Theron Gulati

Replied on: September 27, 2011, 10:58 am

“To say “I love you” one must first be able to say the “I.”” ~ Ayn Rand

Replied on: September 27, 2011, 2:33 pm

That’s exactly what Eva Love was talking about in the two shows on “Dating Again.” Thanks for the eloquent quote!

• Andrew Ramirez

Replied on: September 27, 2011, 8:47 pm

Julia, nice job on this interview. I’m married to an ex-single-mom and have many friends that fall into the single mom category. Finding great child care is indeed difficult to do.

The challenge is that nobody is going to love and treat your child like you do. Setting clear expectatons as well as “monitoring” are great elements to keeping your child safe.

Thanks for sharing.

• hh

Replied on: September 28, 2011, 4:39 pm

Lol everybody talk about dating

• Nancy Jeff

Replied on: October 8, 2011, 4:00 am

Thanks for the share!
    Nancy

• children

Replied on: October 14, 2011, 11:17 am

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness to your post is just excellent and i can suppose you are an expert on this subject. Well along with your permission let me to seize your feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue the gratifying work.

Replied on: October 14, 2011, 1:43 pm

So great to have you on our feed! and in our circle of friends now. Thanks for the thumbs up. Love to you! – Julia

• Steph

Replied on: October 14, 2011, 11:43 pm

hello i found your site today and I love your interviews! (I just listened to 4 more!) I just wanna thanks you for all the great stuff you share and get your guests to share. I’m going to recommend this site to all my friends!

• vb

Replied on: October 15, 2011, 2:28 pm

hey I just read your article, and listened to the show. I wanna thank you for adding such great content to the web! Please keep up the good work!

• talking to your self

Replied on: October 16, 2011, 9:27 am

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. In any case I will be subscribing in your feed and I’m hoping you write again soon!

• advertise jobs for free

Replied on: October 19, 2011, 4:43 pm

whoah this blog is excellent i like reading your posts. Stay up the great paintings! You recognize, a lot of persons are looking round for this information, you can help them greatly.

Replied on: October 20, 2011, 9:13 pm

Please pass this link along, with the radio show interview with expert Candi Wingate. Getting dependable, loving and affordable childcare IS one of the most important decisions we make as parents, if we have to be away at work. Thanks for sharing.

• parentingadvicetips.net

Replied on: October 22, 2011, 2:55 pm

I just like the helpful information you provide on your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again right here regularly. I am relatively sure I’ll be told many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the following!

• hosting terbaik

Replied on: October 23, 2011, 3:23 am

I do trust all of the concepts you have presented to your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very quick for beginners. May you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

Replied on: October 23, 2011, 9:40 am

Thanks for the comment. The posts lead to the radio show which goes thoroughly into the topic. Have you checked that out? Expert Candi answers tons of questions thoroughly.

• tadalafil in england

Replied on: October 23, 2011, 8:02 pm

About your show: My husband and i most certainly couldn’t have figured out all you have reported on our own. Literally, as i read about this subject from other sources i think you might be totally right. thanks!

• Gerard Derouchie

Replied on: October 24, 2011, 9:00 pm

Im impressed, I must say. Quite hardly ever do I come across a blog & radio show thats both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Your dialogue on childcare is critical; the issue is some thing that not sufficient folks are talking intelligently about. I’m truly content that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to my child care choices.

• teenage parenting

Replied on: October 25, 2011, 1:39 am

Hi there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

• fear of conflict

Replied on: October 25, 2011, 2:04 am

hi!,I really like your writing very so much! May we be in contact more about your article on AOL? I need a specialist in this area to unravel some child care problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to hearing from you.

Replied on: October 25, 2011, 7:27 am

Hi there “fear of conflict” mom,
      I’d love to definitely help you out with any specific issues. Post them here or send me an email: julia_espey@me.com Looking forward to hearing from you.

• parenting

Replied on: October 25, 2011, 3:04 am

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this blog and radio show and I find It truly helpful; it helped me to figure out child care options. I am hoping to offer something again and help others like you helped me.

• becky

Replied on: October 26, 2011, 8:27 pm

I’ve had a lot of trouble finding good childcare. Candi’s advice and Julia’s questions were really helpful in the interview. Is this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Either way stay up the excellent high quality writing on this blog and interview, it is uncommon to peer a nice weblog like this one these days.

Replied on: October 27, 2011, 10:47 am

No this isn’t a paid site, nor a paid interview. I just do it because I believe in supporting single mothers to be their best, and this includes great ideas and facts that help us to make better decisions.

• Diane

Replied on: October 29, 2011, 9:02 am

really fantastic — getting good child care can be such a problem! After listening to this show, I interviewed my sitter differently and I think it worked. Great Job! Thanks.

• Larry

Replied on: October 30, 2011, 1:55 pm

Hey why make this show’s focus for single moms… I’m a stay at home dad (job layoff two years ago) and I’m liking it. It’s not just fluff!! (like some of the sites… do I really near another stroller review!!) I found this post and show really helpful because I’m considering going back to work. (I think I have some options now.) and my wife and I have this big fear around child care. This helps to make us more comfortable. I really like the “nanny bug” that Candi you discussed on the show.

Replied on: October 31, 2011, 9:36 am

He there Larry,
      So glad to have you as apart of our community!! We’ve got to have a focus, though I do think my posts and shows are really useful to all parents. I start off many of the posts “Hey single moms and friends…” you’re definitely the friends! Great comment… it’s totally overwhelming to entrust another to do your job that you’ve done for several years. Glad this helped… and say “yes to the Nanny Bug!”

• mia

Replied on: October 31, 2011, 5:30 pm

I hope to you’ll have Candi back on as a guest.

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 10:05 am

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll consider it.

• Ferdinand Keator

Replied on: November 1, 2011, 12:33 am

Thank you for another essential blog and radio show. I’m going back and listening to all your shows, and I face booked you too with a recommend!

• Sandi Walter

Replied on: November 1, 2011, 4:12 am

Hi, I’m sure glad I stumbled across your show and blog. I wanted to hang out with more single moms. I like the experts you bring forward. I need help with my son and manners. I feel like I’m the drill sergeant. Every dinner time is a struggle. His manners are awful and his dad (my ex) doesn’t care. Is teaching him manners important or not? Am I being too concerned? I just don’t want to be limited by his manners in life. Am I being silly?

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 10:36 am

Hey Sandi. Thanks for the request. ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE! I just booked an etiquette consultant and did an interview/show with her- Nov. 14th- it will be up. Have a listen!!

• Petrina Paxson

Replied on: November 1, 2011, 3:22 pm

Hello.This post was extremely motivating, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this subject last couple of days.

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 9:38 am

Thanks Petrina, check out the radio show attached to it too. The guest Candi Wingate is a great expert to have to help us with our childcare questions.

• seng nduwe gendeng

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 2:00 pm

I like Your Article about Finding the Right Person to Leave Your Child With | Single Mom Talk Radio. Perfect – just what I was searching for!

• Lillie Fundusz

Replied on: November 3, 2011, 9:39 am

Fine blog here and interview, but what I still don’t know is it really OK to find your babysitter online (like the guest Candi recommends with her online service.) What are your thoughts?

Replied on: November 3, 2011, 11:16 am

Excellent question Lillie– well, people are having lots of success with marriages and online dating– what’s good about it is it gives you more options. Having said that, always check references, always do a trial period (your children will know– do you see any differences in them under her care, are they happy, adjusting?) I once started a nanny off by having her home when I was also home but working, and I could hear how she interacted. I met my favorite nanny in the park, because I watched her take care of another child and was impressed with the attention she gave him. But she was a stranger that I trusted enough to give her a try (based on the info I had on her.) That’s perhaps why I like the ideal of nanny bug or nanny cam that Candi suggests in the radio show, to be used as a tool, not a spying device. In Summary: Be cautious, trust your instincts as a mommy, and pay for background checks. ICandi’s company, “Nannie4Hire” has found EXCELLENT people for families- because it can give you more options than you might have on your own.

• cardamom

Replied on: November 3, 2011, 10:40 am

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about the difficulty I was having — with getting someone I could depend on and feel good about going back to work again. You are amazing! Candi was really helpful. Thanks!

• Mary

Replied on: November 3, 2011, 2:34 pm

I wanted to thank you for this great I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the latest stuff you post, and your next show.

• Mary Lavingstone

Replied on: November 4, 2011, 3:26 pm

Just wanted to share. We starting a new neighborhood childcare group. Your show/blog gave us the idea of recording it so the other mothers can help shape the way conflicts are handled. Thanks

• lewis

Replied on: November 7, 2011, 7:52 pm

My wife found this show as we were having child care issues. Thanks for the tips. It got me looking into monitoring devices and I found this cool one from Apple. It sends live video to your iphone/ipad. Its a bit pricey but way cool and worth my peace of mind.

Replied on: November 10, 2011, 8:06 am

Thanks for the device tip Lewis. I’ll go check it out at a Apple store near me.