The epidemic of ADHD/ADD in kids and what’s GOOD about it!

Posted in: Health, Parenting

(12 comments)

Hello Single Moms & Friends,

This week’s show is all about considering what’s GOOD about our children’s challenges–even the acute ones. Before you get a pitch fork out, consider the metaphor of the butterfly.

A Butterfly’s Journey

There was once a woman who while gardening noticed a caterpillars’ cocoon, and the butterfly that was trying to emerge. There was a tiny crack and this butterfly was fighting to open it. For hours she watched it struggle and struggle to work its way through the crack. After a long while it seemed to stop. It had expended all it’s energy and couldn’t do any more.

So the loving and caring woman thought “Let me help.” She carefully took a tiny garden tool and gently cracked open the opening a bit further so the butterfly could emerge. Sure enough, it worked and the butterfly came sliding out and landed on the ground.
It was all curled up and she waited expectantly for it to open its wings and fly, except it never did. It remained a withered creature for the rest of its life. What this woman discovered later was this: cracking open the cocoon is nature’s way of moving fluid from the butterfly’s body to its wing. The struggle was necessary and divine for the butterfly to build the strength to some day fly on its own.

When you’re tempted to think that your children’s challenges are nothing but negative, consider the Butterfly’s Journey and whether there is some purpose to it all. You’ll see what I mean when you listen to this weeks show.

Blessings!

Julia

ABOUT THIS WEEK’S RADIO SHOW: Listen here

The Epidemic of ADHD/ADD in kids

and what’s GOOD about it!

with ADHD/ADD coach and specialist, Laurie Dupar

What could possibly be good about ADHD/ADD? Google “ADHD” and you’ll get 62 million hits of symptoms, medications, and side effects. You’ll find a long list of everything that’s wrong—all the ways ADHD/ADD children aredeficient, how they fail to, how they are less than, and what they can’t do—and very few sites or experts who say anything positive. But there is one.

Today’s guest, Laurie Dupar, is that exception, a trained mental health nurse-practitioner, best-selling author, and ADHD/ADD family coach who successfully raised two children with ADHD. “I had to find some way to reframe the problem, or it would have killed me,” Laurie says. She urges parents to understand the challenges, yes, but also to see the whole child—his or her gifts, strengths, and competencies. “I’ve never met an adult or child with ADHD who hasn’t had amazing qualities,” says Laurie. “But we tend to focus on what’s wrong and what’s not working—to the detriment of seeing the bigger picture and seeing it accurately.”

On this show, Laurie will give you—through real-life stories from her own life and the lives of her clients—a new way of thinking about what ADHD is. “When you understand what ADHD is and isn’t,” she explains” “you handle challenges better, you get less upset and uptight, and your household is more peaceful.”

Laurie will also offer solutions to common challenges your child might face, such as

• How the depression and frustration of being different from your friends can be coped with
  • How social skills may be harder to develop but can be mastered
  • How medication is not a “magic bullet,” but requires constant tweaking and changing as the brain grows

ADHD/ADD challenges are not trivial. But when you see things from a long-range, broader perspective—when you encourage your kid to focus on his or her strengths—you’ll have a terrific advantage. Having ADHD/ADD may seem like a curse, but consider that it can also be a part of your child’s unique recipe for greatness. Just a thought. Listen in, share this link with a friend, and leave your comments below.

TO RECEIVE A FREE COPY OF DR. ROY MARTINA’S TIPS OF HANDLING KIDS WITH ADHD (including recommended vitamin supplementation) send me an email to: julia_espey@mac.com

13 Responses to The epidemic of ADHD/ADD in kids and what’s GOOD about it!

• Ida Wells

Replied on: October 20, 2011, 8:26 am

Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this website before but then I realized it is new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly happy I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back again often! Thanks for the tips on ADHD!

Replied on: October 20, 2011, 9:11 pm

You can also subscribe by RSS feed! Glad to have you join us.

• KD

Replied on: October 21, 2011, 5:46 am

Our son suffered from ADD throughout his childhood and adolescence, though we couldn’t get it diagnosed until he was in college. Being able to understand the disease made all the difference for him and us, and he’s moved on to become a wonderful father himself.

Replied on: October 21, 2011, 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing. Years ago many doctors weren’t looking for/diagnosing ADD/ADHD very often so I can imagine the confusion it caused not knowing what’s wrong, but feeling it just the same. Good to know that your family finally got some education and your fears were put to rest, and you moved on so successfully.

• Emily

Replied on: October 29, 2011, 11:33 am

I don’t have a problem with ADHD/ADD with my daughter– Thank you God, but I have two friends that do. I forwarded this link to them and they said it was “REALLY HELPFUL!” I love all your shows.

• Fanny Mathews

Replied on: October 31, 2011, 7:05 pm

My sis instructed me about your web site and the way great it is. She’s right, as I’ve been struggling with my daughters ADHD and I’m not happy with my doctor is saying. I feel like there’s more to do than just medicate, which doesn’t seem to be working for all her symptoms. Thanks

• Nancy White

Replied on: November 1, 2011, 8:12 am

I was having so much trouble knowing what to do. My son’s ADD is wearing me out. Dr. Martina’s paper that you emailed me (resource button) was really helpful as I didn’t realize food and vitamins could have such a BIG effect. I mean I almost went crazy the day after halloween–with all the candy; it’s not just sugar it’s dye #3, artificial flavors, and all, so I ditched 99% of his loot– because it was making both him and I crazy! Thanks.

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 10:17 am

Hey there Nancy. Glad Dr. Roy Martina’s tips were helpful. Also check out his chapter in my book “If I Were Your Daddy, This Is What You’d Learn.” (Available at Amazon or Barnes & Noble). He goes into greater detail how he managed his son that had ADHD and he’s a star student and athlete now.

• Erwin Franchette

Replied on: November 1, 2011, 3:56 pm

I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the stories coming. I liked it!

Replied on: November 2, 2011, 9:40 am

Thanks Erwin! i really like to interview top experts in a field and dig out stuff from them that useful, valuable and really beneficial. Have you checked out the radio interviews? You can find them associated with each of the blogs. All the best!- julia

• Carol Conyers

Replied on: November 23, 2011, 2:17 am

I really needed to find this info, thank God! My daughters medication must be off. Thanks for the heads up.

• Ivana

Replied on: November 6, 2011, 10:32 pm

Thank you for your discussion where you touched upon ADHD medication. I’m not happy with the meds my son is on and my doctor keeps telling me they are fine. It make complete sense that he’s 2 years older, and his brain is different.. i think I need to find a new doctor who will listen to me, and my observations that something needs to be changed. Our doctor doesn’t live with us of course everything it’s “all right” for him!

• Cindy Lochem

Replied on: November 9, 2011, 11:33 am

Appreciate this informative article/show. Like you said in the show opening, there are lots of people talking about what’s wrong with kids with ADHD, and very few saying that it’s actually a gift. That’s a bit of stretch right now with the challenges my daughter is having in school– but I like the concept and it changes my point of view from “this is just a problem to get rid of.” There must be something amazing in it, else why would God create her with it!